2010: New season, New site!

The 2010 season is underway and we are now on a new domain:

www.baseballrevival.blogspot.com

We have more writers, and this year, we have expanded our blog to every team all around the majors! We are very excited to begin the season. Follow our new site for great coverage during the '10 season. It's the place to be for the latest baseball news and debates!

Monday, November 2, 2009

Big Ifs and Whiffs

By Chris Pollay

Well, a lot can change in a week.

Last Monday I was charged with optimism, expecting a seven-game series against the Philadelphia Phillies and the New York Yankees. Now, I'm just hoping to see a Game Six. The good news is that the Phillies have the right man on the mound tonight. Cliff Lee is the best pitcher in the 2009 postseason and IF the Yankees can find a way to beat him tonight, then all you can do is tip your hat to them. They will certainly earn their rings.

But, I have a feeling they won't do it tonight. Lee has been so dominant that he should stop the bleeding tonight. Even IF he does, however, then the Phillies have to win Game Six in the Bronx. Then, IF Pedro can defy his age once again and get the better of Andy Pettitte, there could be a classic Game Seven.

That's a lot of big IFs, and the prospect remains more daunting if you consider Game Seven would likely feature C.C. Sabathia, the Yankees' best pitcher, against Cole Hamels, the Phillies' struggling southpaw who has not looked good at all for most of the 2009 postseason.

Honestly, I can't envision all of that happening right now, but I also have seen enough sports to know that one game can turn things around. Today is that time for the Phillies.

Now, IF they can just make contact with the ball, or at least, show a little more plate patience. In the 2009 World Series, Philadelphia has whiffed 36 times in four games (compared to only 29 hits and 15 base on balls). In particular, Ryan Howard has 10 whiffs and Raul IbaƱez has nine. If that doesn't change, then the offseason will start tomorrow for the defending champs.

A lot of those whiffs have come at painful times, too.

It seemed like all season the Phillies relied heavily on a "three-run homer" offense but in this series, it's been another story entirely. How many times have they had runners on first and second with no outs, then proceeded to follow with a "fly out, strikeout, groundout" offense that is much less effective?

Despite it all, I still want to believe the Phillies can do it. Admittedly, I wasn't too surprised when Brad Lidge struggled and imploded last night. I wasn't shocked to see A-Rod come through in the clutch with a key ninth inning hit last night. What baffles me, however, is that the Phillies haven't found a way to win after Game One. This team is a resilient bunch that always seems to find a way to come back when they absolutely need to.

Unfortunately, this time the hole they have to dig themselves out of may be just a little too deep. They have to win three straight against the Yankees including two in the Bronx. With A.J., C.C. and Mo on the mound, that is a tall order indeed.

I'm a Phillies fan, so I will foster a lot of doubts that this can actually happen, but I also know that IF by some miracle it does, it would be something quite special indeed.

2 comments:

  1. Philly fans can now understand part of the reason why Mets fans just abhor the Yankees.You just get this complex of never being quite good enough. With that being said, may the karma of the 2004 Red Sox be upon you. Go Phillies...even though you are my division rivals, I just will always hate the Yankees more. They couldn't possibly lose enough to ever satiate my disdain.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha, well said. I've talked to a lot of people who have disliked the Yankees all of their lives and never tire of rooting against them. I am definitely in that boat. When they lost Game Seven to the D-Backs (I live in Phoenix) I was on Cloud Nine. I wasn't a Red Sox fan, either, but when they beat them four straight in the 2004 ALCS, I laughed the whole time. The Phillies taking three straight, including two in the Bronx would certainly rank up there with those accomplishments. Plus, I want to see Chase Utley hit another homer and surpass Reggie Jackson. That would make it all even sweeter.

    ReplyDelete